Bitter Gourd is also known as bitter melon is a unique fruit-vegetable combination that is consumed widely for its immense health benefits. The scientific name of bitter gourd is Momortica charantia and belongs to the gourd family like cucumbers, pumpkins, cantaloupes, squash, watermelon and many more. It is considered as one of the most bitter among all other vegetables. Though its taste bitter but it has amazing health benefits.
In our previous article, we have discussed the health benefits of bottle gourd juice. In this article, we are discussing the amazing health benefits of bitter gourd juice. Bitter gourd is considered as one of the healthy diet since it contains lots of antioxidants and vitamins that help your body to counter various diseases. Bitter gourd has shown magical results for patients who are suffering from diabetes, intestinal, stomach problems, helps in weight loss, cancer-fighting properties and many more.
Bitter Gourds are cultivated mostly in tropical parts of the world such as Asia, Africa and South America. It is one of the most popular cuisines in countries like India and China due to its various nutritious and healthy properties, Bitter Gourd can be consumed in different forms like juice, curry and in the form of delicious chips.
What is Bitter Gourd Juice?
Bitter Gourd Juice is also known as karela juice or bitter melon juice. It is made from a fruit called bitter melon. As it name indicates it is highly bitter in taste but it has amazing health benefits to boost overall health.
The fruit has distinctly rough, bumpy skin and found in two general varieties- Indian and Chinese bitter melon.
Chinese bitter gourds are big in size around 20 cm( 8 inches) and have a pale green color. Its skin is smooth and having wart-like bumps.
Indian bitter gourds are smaller in size around 10cm( 4 inches) with spiked skins, pointed ends and a dark green in color.
Both bitter gourds have amazing health benefits.
Nutritional information of bitter Gourd Juice (Karela Juice)
Bitter Gourd juice consists of all essential healthy nutrients with highly packed vitamins and minerals. As Per USDA 100 gms of raw bitter gourd contains following nutrients
Dietary Fiber- 2.6 gm
Carbohydrates- 3.4 gms
Protein: 930 mg
Water: 87.4 gm
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice
Various researches and studies have conducted and shown results about the efficiency of the bitter gourd juice for its amazing health benefits
- Manage Diabetes: Bitter Gourd is considered as one of the best veggies to curb sugar levels. According to the world health organisation (WHO) 382 million people worldwide suffer from diabetes.
If any individual diagnosed with diabetes then it always prescribed to consume bitter gourds. It contains active ingredients with anti-diabetic properties like polypeptide-p or p-insulin that use to control diabetes in a natural way.
- Improves gut Health: Regular Consumption of bitter gourd juice helps to improve the overall gut health. It helps to cure intestinal disorders like constipation and stomach ache. It is highly beneficial for irritable bowel syndrome(IBS) since it kill parasites that enter the digestive system. Bitter gourd is highly rich in antioxidants that helps in better digestion. Due to its richness in fiber and natural laxative property most of the doctors recommend consuming bitter gourd that maintains overall good digestive health.It works like wonders for constipation and other digestive disorders.
- Boosts Immune system: Bitter Gourd Juice is considered as one of the best way to fight against various virus and bacteria. It boosts the overall immune system and prevents allergies and indigestion. It is a rich source of vitamin c with ample antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are necessary components for our body as it multiplies the immune cells and white blood cells(WBCs).
As per various studies conducted it is found as bitter gourd or bitter melon has anti-carcinogen and anti-tumour properties. It reduce the risks of various kind of cancers like breast, prostate and cervical cancer.
- Beautify the skin: Bitter gourd is rich source of vitamin c and it helps to keep the skin wrinkle-free and prevents premature ageing. It reduces acne and helps in treating eczema and psoriasis and also protects the skin from harmful UV rays. Due to its richness of vitamin C among other nutrients that boosts the production of collagen, that smoothens the skin and improve elasticity.
- Benefits for Eyes: Due to its richness in Vitamin A Bitter gourd helps to prevent various eyes related problems like cataracts and strengthens the eyesight. Its one of the best remedy to treat dark circles as well due to its richness in Vitamin A and beta carotene.
- Cleanses Liver and Purifies Blood: Bitter gourd juice is highly beneficial to remove toxins settled down in the liver. Bitter gourd heals many liver problems as well as cleanses the bowel movement. It also strengthens the overall functioning of the bladder.
- Hair Growth: Bitter Gourd promotes hair growth and boosts overall hair health. The nutrients vitamin A, vitamin C. Biotin and zinc promotes hair growth and brings shine to the hair. Several studies show that applying bitter gourd juice on the scalp on regular basis helps to reduce dandruff, reduce itchiness, decreasing hair loss and greying of hair.
Bitter Gourd (Karela Juice) Recipe
It’s very easy to make bitter gourd juice at home. All you need is a raw bitter gourd, a blendor or juicer and water.
Select bitter melons(Gourd) that are bigger and raw one and avoid those that are riper with a slightly orange or red hue. These things help to reduce the harsh flavour associated with the fruit.
To reduce its bitterness, soak bitter gourd flesh in water with lemon juice for about 30 mins before blending it.
-1 bitter melon
-water or other juice
-lemon juice, salt or honey
Wash the bitter melon with cold water.
Place it on a cutting board and slice off each end (there’s no need to peel it).
Cut the melon crosswise and lengthwise. You should now have four pieces.
Scoop out the seeds from each piece using a spoon and discard them.
Place the remaining outer green flesh flat-side down on the cutting board. Slice these into medium-sized pieces.
Add water to the blender to equal about one part water to two parts bitter melon. You can adjust these proportions to your taste, and you may replace water with another type of juice, if desired.
Add the pieces of bitter melon to the blender. You may also add a few drops of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon (5 ml) of honey or salt for taste. Blend until smooth.
Pour over a wire mesh strainer to filter out chunks of fruit. Press a wooden spoon over the solids to strain out as much juice as possible. Serve immediately or chill.
If you own a juicer, you may use this instead of the blender. Simply add water at the end and skip the step of straining the solids.
You can blend other ingredients into your karela juice too. Green apple, cucumber, ginger, pineapple, and strawberries are all popular additions.
Bitter Gourd juice plays a vital role to keep your body fit and free of all diseases. Though its taste bitter but it’s packed all essential nutrients and minerals which are necessary to maintain a healthy body. Adding bitter gourd in your daily diet in the form of juice or in any other form like karela sabji (curry) helps to boost overall body health. It protects from various diseases and helps to control blood sugar level and removes bad cholesterol.